When my Mum and uncle were small children, they lived in a flat and in their bedroom was a small gas heater. One night, my Mum was rudely awoken by my shocked grandparents who had discovered that around her and my uncle's nostrils was black soot! Thank goodness my grandparents had gone into check on them else I would not be here today writing this!
The thing is carbon monoxide poisoning is extremely dangerous and very hard to detect because it is odourless, has no taste or smell and no colour. This is why may deaths may go undiagnosed as the symptoms can be similar to common illnesses such as food poisoning and flu. However, the Department of Health estimates that 50 people are filled by carbon monoxide poisoning in the UK each year with around 4,000 more being treated in hospital.
It is an invisible killer and although there are clues in your home that can reveal it has dangerous levels of carbon monoxide (eg. soot, yellow/brown staining on the walls or ceiling around your appliance as well as looking out for a lazy yellow/orange coloured gas flame instead of a sharp blue one or dodgy pilot lights that blow out frequently), the only reliable way to detect it is to fit an alarm.
Its a small price to pay - starting at just £12 - for a small white price of kit which, as with a smoke alarm, can be fitted and will make a noise once carbon monoxide is detected. They only take a few minutes to install and then you have peace of mind that you and your family are protected. Its a small price to pay really isn't it? We had one at our old house and we will have a new one fitted once we move into our new house this weekend too.
Remember Carbon Monoxide Can Kill So:
*Have fuel-burning appliances serviced yearly by a qualified and registered engineer.
Further information can be found at www.co-bealarmed.co.uk
I have 5 carbon monoxide alarms to give away and all you need to do is fill in the form below
Closing date is Monday 28th January, 2012a Rafflecopter giveaway